Course Overview and Learning Objectives
*Course includes choice of software:EngineRoom (included for free), Minitab (must purchase separately)
Note: This outline is identical for the Healthcare, Financial Services, and Services versions. The difference for each course lies in the customized case studies, examples and exercises.
This Lean Six Sigma Green Belt course is comprised of multiple separate sessions which follow the Define-Measure-Analyze-Improve-Control (DMAIC) project phase structure. Each session is a collection of related lessons, and includes an interactive quiz at the end of the session. Individual lessons also include simulations and interactive practice exercises. All course material is available online, and sessions may be started and stopped at any point - content is delivered on-demand according to your schedule. The course is instructor supported if you need help.
By completing this course of study, you will gain a solid general knowledge of the theory, composition and implementation of a Six Sigma initiative. You will also become proficient in all of the basic analytical tools necessary to Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, and Control Lean Six Sigma improvement projects, with the exception of design and analysis of experiments. You will learn team leadership and project management skills. In short, as a Green Belt you will master the skills necessary to lead a complex process improvement project that produces bottom-line results.
The overarching learning objective of this course is to develop a comprehensive set of skills that will allow you to function effectively as a Lean Six Sigma leader. The Green Belt body of knowledge includes techniques for both quantitative and non-quantitative analysis, as well as the team leadership skills necessary to get projects across the goal line. After completing this course, you should be able to do the following:
- Communicate using Lean Six Sigma concepts.
- Think about your organization as a collection of processes, with inputs that determine the output.
- Relate Lean Six Sigma concepts to the overall business mission and objectives.
- Use the concept of a Sigma Level to evaluate the capability of a process or organization.
- Understand and apply the five step D-M-A-I-C model as a framework to organize process improvement activity.
- Employ a wide range of process improvement techniques within the D-M-A-I-C model.
- Recognize the organizational factors that are necessary groundwork for a successful LSS effort.
- Employ your Six Sigma skills to lead a successful process improvement project delivering meaningful results to the organization.
- Interactive Practice Exercises will be presented throughout each session so that you can try your new skills and get immediate feedback.
- Supplemental Exercises will be presented at the end of every session to practice new concepts. Supplemental Exercises are self-graded and may be shared in the Virtual Classroom Discussion area.
- Quizzes will be conducted at the end of every session. Quizzes are interactive, and provide immediate feedback to close the learning loop.
- Green Belt Project: We strongly suggest that a meaningful project should accompany this coursework. The learning experience will be enhanced significantly if concepts and tools are practiced on a real-world project as the course is completed. Successful project work is also required for any certification process. Project selection and chartering are covered in the course at the beginning of the Session Two.
- Return to the MoreSteam University home page by clicking on the icon in the upper left corner of the navigation frame.
- Click on Course Overview (the course name) in the navigation box to return to this page to review course requirements or other general information.
- Consult the dynamic Course Map to identify your current location or to move around the course. The Course Map bookmarking feature will take you back to the point where you last terminated your session.
- Join a Virtual Classroom Discussion through the Discuss link. The Virtual Classroom Discussion is a threaded discussion forum among all current students, with input from the instructor.
- Access the MoreSteam Toolbox through the navigation box to research process improvement tools.
- The “What’s New” link highlights recent modifications to the course. This window will automatically appear upon log-in whenever there is a new update.
- Outside Research Resources provides links to useful websites and recommended books.
- The "Instructor" link provides a shortcut to send an email to the course instructor.
- Access a notepad to record your class notes by clicking on "Notes" link in the navigation box. Notes will be indexed by your current course location for easy reference, and can be printed in summary form.
- The "Account Info" link provides a vehicle to update your email address, phone number, or location, and shows the number of access days remaining.
- The "Quiz Results" link provides a summary of quiz results by session, including detail on any skipped or missed questions.
- The "StatMaster" link opens an interactive wizard to guide statistical analysis.
- The "SigmaPedia" link opens SigmaPedia, online Lean Six Sigma encyclopedia.
- The “Templates” link opens a Web page that links to the entire set of Microsoft® Excel® templates available for the course.
- The “Workbook” link provides additional material and exercises in an easily printable format.
- From any point in the course you can open a D-M-A-I-C flowchart by clicking on the Six Sigma icon in the lower left corner of the navigation bar.
- The Help icon in the lower left corner of the navigation bar opens an Internal Search Function and a Glossary of Terms:
- Synchronized audio slide shows will display without use of a separate media player, but you must enable your browser to read Java (Tools/Internet Options/Advanced/Microsoft VM/Check All Boxes). When you see a slide show icon displayed in the right margin of the course, click on the icon to load the media.
- The course includes Microsoft® Excel® templates for problem solving and statistical analysis. The templates are available as downloads within the course material.
- Standard course version includes a copy of MoreSteam’s EngineRoom® data analysis software for Microsoft Excel.
- General-purpose statistics software is useful but not necessary. Excel templates are provided by the course for statistical analysis. If you do not have a statistics package, options range from free internet downloads to higher-end packages like Minitab, Statistica, JMP etc. You can download a 30-day evaluation copy of most statistics packages over the web.
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Office 2003 or higher is recommended. Office 97 and 2000 do not take advantage of all Excel template features.
- Use the on-screen Help feature for a glossary of terms and site search.
- You can also contact the Course Instructor by email.
COURSE STRUCTURE AND REQUIREMENTS
MoreSteam courses provide content-on-demand to offer the highest degree of student flexibility. You can set your own schedule and progress at your own speed, terminating and re-entering sessions whenever you wish.
All course sessions use a mix of multimedia to present material, including text, synchronized audio slide shows, diagrams, charts, audio lectures, and simulations. Links to outside research resources are provided to explore chosen subjects in greater detail. Course access is provided for 365 days beginning at the time of enrollment.
As you work through the course you will be asked to demonstrate knowledge and understanding in four ways:
The course is presented in a logical sequence to follow the Six Sigma DMAIC improvement process. We believe that you will learn most efficiently by following the sequence presented. In particular, the first session presents an overview of Six Sigma, which will be helpful to put the remaining sessions in proper context.
However, the sessions are modular, and we encourage you to explore the material. You are free to move forward and backward throughout the course. You can skip ahead or go back and review material that you already covered. The course map feature allows you to move point to point, from anywhere to anywhere. The course map status column will tell you which pages you have visited. HOW TO NAVIGATE AND USE RESOURCES
Navigation aids are located in the Navigation Frame to the left of the text screen, and can be activated by clicking on the icon or text.
CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION
Upon completion of this course (review of all lessons and completion of quiz modules), MoreSteam will provide you with a certificate of training completion. By completing this course, you will earn 8 CEUs or 80 PDUs of credit.
Materials Provided by MoreSteam
Materials Provided by Student/Company